Monday, June 04, 2012

Blackened Tilapia - Nightshade Free

I've been a little lax about my diet lately, and am trying to get back on the wagon.  I think after a race (especially a bad one where I need a pity party), I tend to do that.  After watching Rory, Raybon, and lots of other people eat lots of cake, cake pops, and cupcakes at Rory's various birthday celebrations, I indulged in way too much of the gluten free chocolate cake I made.  I've also been eating more nightshade vegetables than I should.  I made some blackened tilapia that was really tasty, but it seems even a milder spice like paprika makes me feel a little inflamed.

So I decided to make some blackened tilapia with a similar recipe, only I substituted powdered ginger  for the nightshade spices. Turned out yummy. Here's the recipe:

Blackened Tilapia - Nightshade Free

2 fillets of tilapia
2 Tablespoons Ginger Rub (Recipe Below)
1 Tablespoon Ghee
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Sprinkle and spread about 1 Tablespoon of the rub over the tilapia.  Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.  Heat ghee in a cast iron skillet.  Fry tilapia about 4 minutes per side on medium heat.  Squeeze lemon over tilapia and serve.

Ginger Rub:

2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme

I said this rhyme to Rory as we ate dinner:

"Fishy, fishy in a brook,
Daddy caught him on a hook,
Mommy fried him in a pan,
Benji ate him like a man."

Rory got a kick out of it and even tasted a tiny bit of fish.  If it wasn't for bacon and sausage, he'd be a vegetarian.  He laughed at the rhyme and tried to make up his own funny saying about a Hungry Wolf eating Mommy.

Anyway, since I have cut back on my workouts I feel like I have more energy to cook, so hopefully my diet will be better from here on.

I did start training again last week.  I got into the pool for the first time since around February on Wednesday.  It was at that tiny little pool up here in the mountains I blogged about a while ago.  Just an  easy 45 minute swim with no clock or watch of anything, swimming alongside a handful of folks, none of whom seemed to be doing a recognizable stroke.  I then did an hour and a half Masters workout on Saturday in Flip Flop at the County's pool.  I was surprised I wasn't much slower than last time I swam there. I guess if you never were in shape to begin with, you can't really get out of it.  I ran on Sunday and today, which was more painful than expected for two really slow 40 minute runs.

I was grouchy after my runs.  I guess I was actually grouchy when I woke up on Sunday.  It might be the hard swim and soreness, but getting woren up at 5:30 in the morning by my angry little 3 year old doesn't help.  I think it might have more to do with hunger and carb withdrawals than working out.  I'm trying to be more Paleo again.  I mostly was still following it, but made an exception for rice, and even occasionally gluten free pizza and sandwiches.  I ate a lot of rice.  I kinda wonder if my body was getting not as good as burning fat for fuel, because for my 20 mile run and my marathon, I took Hammer Gels more often than I normally would, because I was fatigued and hungry.  Sigh.  Well, I don't know that I will do another marathon or very long event again, but if I do, that might be something to think about.

No comments: