Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Balance

What's next?  I don't know.  I want to keep my heart open to possibilities that don't have anything to do with another long endurance event.  I want to see what interests come up when I have more time and energy and nothing to obsess about.

I don't want to do the kind of training that makes me want to put a movie on for Rory instead of actively engaging with him, even if it is just once a week for 3 weeks out of a 16 week training schedule.  I want to come out of every session energized, not worn  down. 

I never want to overtrain, where it affects my sleep at all.  It should make my sleep better not worse.While I didn't suffer from terrible insomnia during my marathon training, if I didn't do yoga daily, it was getting to where I wouldn't be able to sleep well.

I don't want to take on any kind of event where I get nervous enough that my body takes on strange manifestations from stress:  stomach issues, muscle pains, heart palpitations, whatever.

Maybe someday I'll want to do the kind of event that gets me excited to the point that it stays in the back of my mind and motivates me to push my limits, but I don't want that right now.  

If I'm riding the edge between the kind of stress that results in improvement and the kind that results in ovetraining, when life throws a storm my way (as it tends to do), I fall over the edge and both my life and the event I'm training for don't go well.

I still want to stay healthy and stay in shape.  I'll experiment with what feels best to me, starting with some minimal amount of activity.

Any racing at all?  I don't know.  I think I want to do the kind of events that I can jump into using the type of workouts that feel good to me.  Let my training define my races, not my races define my training, I guess.

Will I ever get back into it?  I don't know.

Am I sad about it?  Not at the moment.

Do I feel like I have unfinished business, because I never became the type of runner I wanted to be?  There probably is a tiny bit, but not enough that I think this would be good motivation for changing mind about all I've written about.  At any rate, overtraining is certainly not getting me any closer to becoming the runner I want to be anyway.

Will I start swimming again?  I think that is likely, but I still live far from a pool.  The local pool is open more during the summer, but it isn't open during the time Rory is at preschool.  I don't know if I'll swing the minimum of 3 times a week to get closer to being in shape.

No comments: